Most people know very well the smell of Vicks Vaporub – camphor and menthol. It reminds me of childhood when grandma was rubbing my chest whenever I was coughing and my nose was stuffy.
Basically, these are the main uses of Vicks Vaporub: to treat colds, headaches, congested nose, cough, and sore throats. However, it seems that Vicks Vaporub can do more than this. It can easily relieve earaches, and I already tested this method the other days when my daughter was yelling, not crying because of a painful ear infection.
Honestly, I was skeptical about this method, but I couldn’t stand there and look at her. So, I applied Vicks Vaporub as it follows:
- Vicks vaporub
- Cotton ball
- Garlic clove
Step by step method:
- The first thing I did was to peel the garlic clove and put it on a plate.
- The next move is to apply a small amount of Vicks Vaporub on a cotton ball an insert it in the painful ear. Let it act for 15 minutes then remove it.
- After 10 minutes, microwave the garlic clove for 2 minutes – it has to be warm – and apply on it a small amount of Vicks Vaporub.
- Introduce the garlic clove inside of the opening ear. Let it act for another 15 minutes.
- The pain will slowly fade away.
As a matter of fact, it seems that Vicks Vaporub is good to alleviate ear pain, but I don’t recommend using it constantly. Anyhow, after the pain is gone, you should visit a doctor.
Camphor and menthol – the main ingredients of this topical ointment – have the ability to reduce ear pain and infection, but at the same time, if you use it frequently it can be dangerous for your ear.